Shop for Collectibles Online

Transformers Review: Kickback (FOC Deluxe)


Intro:
            Throughout history, Transformers have yielded numerous characters with strange alternate modes – Kickback and the rest of the Insecticons being one of those.
            Amongst the various factions to have appeared in the original 1980’s G1 animated series, the Insecticons are probably the most unique of all. Although they are Decepticons by default, they were only loyal to their cause, if it ever benefitted them in some way.
            Amongst the Insecticons, Kickback was probably the one with the lowest profile. Contempt to just let either Bombshell or Shrapnel to lead the pack, he’s the last Insecticon that I would expect to receive a Generations FOC treatment.
            Anyways, that aside, I am actually quite excited about this release because this is my first ever Insecticons.
            Yeah, I’m surprised too.
            Anyways, without further ado, let’s get on with the review.

Alternate Mode:
            As with the original G1 character, Kickback transforms into a grasshopper, or in this case – a Cybertronian grasshopper, if you could even call it that.
            Well, at least, there’s a little hint of grasshopper in it.
            While I do like the entire look of the grasshopper in general, there some issues with the alternate mode.
            The belly of the grasshopper, which is formed by joining its two robot arms together, have problems locking in.
            The Disc Launcher, which is utilized in robot mode, although not mentioned in the instructions, can be stored in grasshopper mode as shown in the photo.  
            Overall, quite an interesting alternate mode.

Robot Mode:
            To be honest, I really love how this figure looks. Kickback seems almost menacing and ninja-like.
            I think the traditional Insecticon colors of purple and yellow (or in this case, gold) work very well for him.
            Articulation-wise, Kickback has tons of it: the head is on a ball joint; the shoulders swings outward and also on a separate ball joints; the elbows and hips are on ball joints as well; the hands rotate; the knees bend: and finally, the ankles are also on ball joints.

            As mentioned before, Kickback wields a disc launcher in robot mode, which launches the disc quite poorly if I might add. The Disc Launcher itself literally looks like some sort of a flying grasshopper itself.  
            I really dig this robot mode.
Overall:
            I love the Insecticons. For as long as I could remember, I’ve been looking for a full set Insecticons since I started collecting professionally, but have in numerous times missed out on them by a whisker.
            Now that I got Kickback, and seeing as how good this figure really is, I can’t wait to get my hands on Shrapnel and Bombshell when they are released.
           
            Highly recommended.

            Final verdict: 9/10. 

2 comments: