Shop for Collectibles Online

Transformers Review – Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon Movie Review (Possible Spoilers Alert)


Well, it’s 3.30 in the morning and I just came back from watching the premiere of TF3: Dark of the Moon (DOTM), in 3D, and I can only think of one word that could sum up the experience – AWESOME!!! The first movie was great; Revenge of the Fallen was just fun, visually-pleasing, and robots-galore, with a few minus point storyline-wise. However with DOTM, oh boy, it is all what ROTF was, but with way better storyline. DOTM is undoubtedly the best movie of the franchise so far. 

I really like the 3D, and I think it’s just so awesome. I’ve watched several 3D films before, and some of them were clearly made half-heartedly. Movies like Clash of the Titans were only converted into 3D hastily at the very last minute because of the hype, and because you can make more money with the 3D tagline. Heck, the only thing 3D that I saw from that movie was the subtitles!!! So far, Toy Story 3 had been the only 3D film that I felt was worth the 3D ticket monies that I paid for. DOTM, the effects are just awesome!!! The moment the film starts, you could clearly see that the 3D was working, and as you go into the various battles, the 3D makes the debris seemed very realistic.

I like the idea how the story starts off with a little bit of history lessons, namely about the space race. I’m not going to spoil it for you, but do take note of the very special guest making a cameo in this movie. Although the focus is on the robots, not everyone gets to have enough screen time. In fact, Ratchet, as far as I could notice, didn’t even utter a single line. Sideswipe and Ironhide’s screen times were equally minimal. As far as screen time goes, you would expect the normal suspects getting the most of it, i.e. Optimus, Megatron and to some extent, Soundwave and Starscream. Wheelie also received quite an amount of airtime along with his newfound buddy – the equally diminutive and noisy, but weirdly-named Brains. These two, despite their tiny stature actually played a huge role during the battle.

The old guards had to share a lot of airtime with newly introduced characters, such as the legendary Autobot leader Sentinel Prime, several new Autobot crews such as the Wreckers, Wheeljack, Shockwave and Laserbeak. Laserbeak and Shockwave are just plain bas@$$, and they really caused a lot of trouble wherever they went. 

I think the song Iridescent by Linkin Park was absolutely perfect for the movie, especially with the gloomy tone of the movie. I have to admit, I did have a slight reservations against the song. I mean, New Divide and What I’ve Done were upbeat songs that really put you in the mood, and Iridescent was initially just too low-key for me. But then again, after watching the movie, I couldn’t be more wrong about the song – it was perfect.
You could expect a lot of twists and turns and surprises along the way, which I think really set it apart from critically-panned, yet highly profitable ROTF. The action sequences are just awesome, and the battle scenes were absolutely eye-candy. 

The human aspect was not left out amidst all the robots-galore. The character Sam Witwicky (played by Shia LaBeouf) as usual plays the leading role, along with new love interest – Carly Spencer, played by Rosie Huntington-Whitely. I have to admit, Carly’s role is a bit minimal, although she did play key roles in certain events, but hell, I’m glad she’s there. She’s just visually-pleasing. Previously, I’ve heard complaints about how Rosie was not as hot as the previous female-lead (Megan-who again?), but I am telling you right now, this girl is HOT!!! Hey, she ain’t a Victoria’s Secret model for nothin’, you know? 

John Turturro’s Agent Seymour Simmons actually played a larger role this time around, and you can expect lots of laughs from him and his new assistant, Dutch, played by Alan Tudyk. Other human old guards returning are U.S. Army Lt. Col. William Lennox (Josh Duhamel) and USAF Chief Robert Epps (Tyrese Gibson). Sam’s parents, played by Kevin Dunn and Julie White also return, although I must admit that I am glad that their roles have been significantly reduced.

Patrick Dempsey (of Grey’s Anatomy fame) plays the new character Dylan Gould, who I have to say is quite essential to the story, and I never knew that Patrick could play such a role before. Kudos to him. The characters Bruce Brazos, Sam’s boss (played by John Malkovich) and Hardcore Eddie (Lester Speight) also provide comic relief in the movie. 

I really do believe that Michael Bay have managed to find a good balance between the robots and the humans this time around, and at least this time around, the humans do not look as weak as was previously depicted. In the previous movies, the humans could not have won without the Autobots, but this time around, it is the Autobots who could not have won without the humans. 

I guess this is a perfect finale to an amazing film franchise, although I do hope there could be more to come. However several factors have indicated that there wouldn’t be any, especially after both director Michael Bay and actor Shia LaBeouf have ruled out of returning to the franchise, combined with the demise of several key characters (unless of course they introduced new ones for future installments). The only saving grace is that Steven Spielberg himself may direct any possible future installments in the future. 

Anyways, whatever it may be, it has been a hell of a ride. DOTM has been really amazing and entertaining, and I am definitely going to watch this movie again. For those who haven’t watched the movie, I suggest that you buy the tickets the soonest possible and go watch it!!! For those who’s still uncertain, I suggest that you just go watch it, cuz take my word for it, there ain’t nothin’ to be uncertain about. And to those who won’t be watching, SHAME ON YOU!!!

Final verdict: 9.5/10

2 comments:

  1. I'm gonna wait for the blu ray version. As for the Alfredo Dino Ferrari 458, he was something like Sideswipe, had 2 sickle blades and was f'n cool along with his accent,

    Btw, Ratchet did had a one line script. I think it's the part when he discovered S. Prime in the lock stasis chamber of the crashed Ark shipat the moon with Optimus.

    Big Daddy V

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I watched the movie for the 2nd time, I actually noticed that he spoke one line right before the closing credits... With only 2 very, very brief lines of dialog throughout a two-and-a-half hour movie, is it even necessary for the voice-over actor to be credited at the end of the film? Point to ponder...

    ReplyDelete